Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday's Lunchtime Sketch Challenge #5

Well, I am finding it hard to believe it is Monday again! I checked my calendar twice and it does seem to be true. I have been so sick this whole week and don't seem to have a clue what day it is or what the heck happened to the week. But the good news is that it is indeed Monday so I have another sketch challenge for you. This one was a bit tough for me. Not sure if it is because I am sick or because of the sketch? Anyway, I can not wait to see what you guys do with this one.


Sorry the sketch is so small. We lost electricity last night and it screwed up a lot of my programs? I have had this happen once before but can't remember what I did to fix it. Go figure! My printer is not talking to my computer, and that is how I usually upload pictures so I had to find a new way for today. Anyway, enough jabber here are my card for this week......




This first card is a regular 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 inch size. I had so much fun with this one. I flipped the sketch and used the flowers for the different length strips. Fun! The flowers are made from 1 inch circles of Chocolate Chip that has the edges cut. I layered a 5/8 inch circle of the dp on the Chocolate Chip and then the build a brad with 1/2 inch circles of the dp in the center. I really love how it turned out and there is a close up of the flowers below this text. I believe this dp is from the retired Apple Cider collection, not sure because it was in my scrap pile. Other details for this card are....

The base of the card is Chocolate Chip followed by River Rock. The dp is cut on the design to make the zig zag strip. I then used my marker to make dots along the edge. The butterfly is from the Happy Hearts set -- I just omitted the words I Love You and added more dots. The wings are paper pieced with a tiny scrap of the Outlaw paper. The saying is from the retired set Blooming With Happiness. And finally I added double stitched Wasabi ribbon. Oh and the grass is a Wasabi scrap. Love this layout for using scraps. See the next card too.




Here is a close up of the flowers so you can see how I cut the circle. And here is my second card for this sketch.



I used the retired Outlaw designer paper scraps that I can not stand to throw away! The base of the card is Really Rust followed by Sage Shadow. I randomly stamped the star and medallion from the Wanted set in Chocolate Chip on the Sage Shadow card stock. Then I sponged Really Rust on the edges. The left hand side is done with nine 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch scraps of the Outlaw paper. I cut a template so that I would get all the points the same. I attached them to a larger stip of the Chocolate Chip star patten from the same series. Next I stitched in a VERY random design to hold all the pieces down. And finally I added 8 vanilla brads in between the points. You make me smile from Simple Sayings II was stamped on strips of Really Rust and attached to finish the card. One more to add to my Male Gender selection!

And now for the other talented artist and their rendition of this sketch.......(you are gonna love this weeks samples so be sure to take the time to look--they are AWESOME!)


Michelle on Splitcoaststampers

Kerry at Three Clover Designs


Lisa at Splendiferous Creations


Amy at Partners in Crimp

Gerri at Iwork4stamps


Pat at The Technique Trail


A few less that usual but hopefully the rest will jump in a little late. The one's I am showcasing are terrific though. So don't' you want to play too! Post a comment on here with a link to your sample and I will add it to one of the posts during the week. You can upload your card to your blog, Splitcoaststampers (using TSSC5 in key words) or where ever you choose. I hope you do join us. It will really get you thinking out of the box. Now, I have one more piece of that Apple Cider dp already cut so I may have to create one more.

24 nice people left a comment:

Lisa Somerville said...

Great cards you created for your sketch MJ! Love all the added detail on the BAB card.

Anonymous said...

Awesome cards and sketch, Mary Jo. Sorry you were sick!
Hugs and smiles

Kerry D-C said...

Wow, MJ! These are marvelous! Great details in both! I really really love the flowers made from BAB and snipping! You a DA BOMB!

Pat Huntoon said...

I just love the flowers -- both of these are great! Wonderful and inspiring, Mary Jo.

Back Porch Stamper said...

Love this challenge. Such cute flowers. I decided to give your sketch a try. Love it!
Backporchstamper

Back Porch Stamper said...

What a great challenge! I tried it this week and had so much fun with it!
Backporchstamper@blogspot.com

Gerrie Johnnic said...

All these wonderful ideas in my head now, can't wait till next week! Great cards GF!!

Anonymous said...

Great sketch and cards. Really like your flowers with the cut fringe and build a brad!

rozie640 said...

Love both your cards!! Just awesome, those build a brads are fabu.

Margaret Raburn said...

MJ, love all your cards! Each is so unique and attractive! This was a challenging sketch! lol! Mine is up now at funstampin.blogspot.com
I've been out of town so had to do mine this morning!
Margaret R

Valerie Byrnes said...

Continuing to love the challenge MJ! Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought today's sketch was challenging. You can see my card at
www.pastperfected.blogspot.com

Kimm BT said...

Great sketch Mary Jo!!
Here is mine-
http://ephesian25stamps.blogspot.com/

Kimm BT

Donalda said...

I thought I would join in on your lunchtime sketch. Love it. Thanks
I have mine on my blog
http://donaldas.blogspot.com/2008/02/mondays-lunchtime-sketch-challenge.html

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Whew, this was a tough one for me. You really challenged us this week, Mary Jo. Here's my attempt. It's not exactly as the sketch showed, but I think it is close enough.

Susie Moore said...

I discovered your sketch challenge and just fell in LOVE with this week's sketch.

Thanks for some great inspiration.

Susie

Here is a link to my rendition:

http://stolenmomentsdesigns.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Great cards Mary Jo! Thanks for the chance to play along - here's my contribution:
http://inkblocks.blogspot.com/2008/02/sketch-challenge-anniversary.html

~ Nancy - inkblocks :o)

Anonymous said...

Mary Jo, I must say I loe your little flowers!! They are really cute! Thanks for another great challenge.... Here is my card http://tamarrastamps.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/monday-luncht-2.html

Hetty said...

Hello Mary Jo!
Love your sketches. I placed mine on my blog: http://craftchaos.blogspot.com
Please take a look!
Greetings from The Netherlands,
Hetty

Stampin_Melissa said...

Mary Jo, your cards are great! Here is my take on your sketch:

http://stampinmelissa.blogspot.com/2008/02/techostampers-card-sketch-5.html

Thanks for these sketches, I'm really enjoying them!

Amber Porter said...

Finally got this challenge done!! Thanks for the motivation every Monday!!
You can view it here:
http://sassystamper.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/new-hanna.html

Anonymous said...

Great sketch and I finally had time to play! Here's mine: http://inkydoodle.blogspot.com/

Hope you are feeling better! BTW, love your Pond Pals card! Too cute!

Jennifer_GlitterInMyHair said...

Cool sketch! I have printed off your last couple but got too busy to do them while they're current. I finally made it this week! Thanks for the inspiration - love your blog. :-)

Here's mine:
http://glitterinmyhair.blogspot.com/2008/02/tssc5-and-color-challenge.html

laurie serino said...

I'm finally getting my first Techno Stamper sketch uploaded ! This was an awesome sketch !! http://stampingforgodsglory.blogspot.com/

Terri said...

I had a really hard time with this one for some reason. I finally managed to come up with something I think I can live with though. http://terrbear38.blogspot.com/2008/02/mary-jos-lunchtime-sketch-week-5.html. Happy Belated birthday by the way!