Monday, April 14, 2008

Monday Lunchtime Sketch Challenge #13

Ya know, my son is just learning about superstitions and I almost didn't have a sketch 13 -- I was gonna skip since it is supposed to be unlucky -- but then I thought about my Christian beliefs and what I am trying to teach my son and we are not to believe in superstitions but only in our Lord and Savior so here is sketch number 13!




As I mentioned in my last post this sketch is an easy one -- but for some reason it gave me difficulty! I did come up with two card although I am not SUPER happy with either -- I am not SUPER unhappy either, lol.

My first card is a bit different and I probably would have liked it more in different colors but I was trying to use up paper scraps and I was determined to make these papers work!



I think the part that is really throwing me off is the ugly green stems -- but as I said I really wanted to use that brown scrap and could not stamp or draw stems that would show up on there besides I wanted them 3d to go along with the flowers. This next picture shows the flowers a bit closer.





I will definitely be making these again! They were so easy and they really are adorable in real life. They are made from the big flower in the Doodle This set. Stamp the flower on your desired paper and cut out. Next I added a large circle foam adhesive dot to the back center. I took the paper of both sides of the dimensional -- one side stuck to the middle of the back of the flower and the other side was used to hold the tips of the flower when I folded them back. I used the Three for you punch to add the mini brown flower to the top. Bend in the petals a bit to give them the shape you want. I finished mine off with the white faux brads in the center. Very cute and very easy! The stems of the flowers are pipe cleaners that I stole form my son's craft stuff.

Supplies used:
Paper: Chocolate Chip and Whisper White card stock. Cute Pie and Fall Flowers (I think) dp.
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Stamps: Doodle This and Just Like You
Other: ugly green pipe cleaners, large and small oval punch, faux brads, Three For You punch.


The next card was a quick one! I wanted to use my new cuttlebug folder so this was the perfect layout and stamps set to use with it.



Supplies:

Stamps: Spring Solitude bundle
Old Olive, Chocolate Chip, More Mustard and Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: More Mustard, Old Olive and Blue Bayou
Other: old olive twill, cuttlebug embossing folder, markers


Now for a few other players in today's sketch. We are a bit light on participants this week due to spring break but all of the samples are amazing and will certainly inspire you -- check them out........



Lisa at Splendiferous Creations

Lisa has not missed one of my sketches yet and all of her cards are amazing!
Thanks for that Lisa, I love ya.


Pat at the Technique Trail

believe it or not - the queen of techniques made a card without using any techniques!
And it is good too!


Kim at Kim's Basement Stamping

Kim made not one but two cards this week - both nice and springy!


Charlotte at Charlotte's Web

Each and every time I type Charlottee's blog I am amazed at what a perfect name that is. Just brilliant as is her card this week.


Claudia at Stamping in Columbus GA

Another ambitious player with two cards this week and both are great!


14 nice people left a comment:

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

I love what you did with the doodle this flowers. Very cool. I'll have to try that.

Anonymous said...

Great cards MJ. I like both of them.

Anonymous said...

MJ, both cards are great! I especially like the flower technique. Great cards!!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Oh, these flowers are so cute, and oh so you! Love the card. (?LOL, can you see dirty little flowers on my cards...tee hee!)

Shelly Schmidt said...

Great job with both cards- I love how you made the flowers- and the brads down the side of that- and the sentiment oval....That is great too! I am not thinking the turned sketch will work for me....but you never know.....! I hope to play this week!
Thanks for your inspiration!

Anita Van Hal said...

Hey Mary Jo! I'm playing along again this week! This was a fun sketch-I'm just loving your sketch challenges; thank you so much for doing them!

Anita Van Hal
Praierie Papier Ponderer
http://www.anitastamps.com

Cynthia said...

Hey mine actually resembles your sketch this time. Thanks for your continued inspiration. Cynthia

chickadee3357 said...

I love your cards. That was such a neat idea to fold the petals back on those flowers and make them 3D. Also, I think the papers work well together. The green is a little bit more bright/not as soft as the other two, but I think it is fine! I'm going out of town over night, but hope to play later this week!!

Stacy said...

I love these cards! Very creative ... MJ, you're just so blessed with that creativity thing!!

I'm finally on track again, so I've got my first Challenge #13 sketch already up on my blog! Find it here: http://stacys-scraploft.blogspot.com/2008/04/
bit-of-creativity-and-some-satisfaction.html

Thanks!!

Unknown said...

really like the flower one actually - i LOVE brown and blue together! i did something a little different with the sketch - not a card but i am hoping it still counts....?? you can see it here:
http://pezadoodle.blogspot.com/2008/04/technostamper-sketch-coaster-album.html i will be doing this for the next couple weeks (crossing my fingers it's done by mother's day!!)

Unknown said...

Alright Mary Jo! Here's my version! I had fun with this one! Thanks so much. Count on me for next week too! This is one weekly challenge I don't plan on missing! :D
http://stephsstampinstuff.blogspot.com/2008/04/another-sweet-challenge.html

Stampin_Melissa said...

Hi Mary Jo! Here is my card, thanks for the challenge!

http://stampinmelissa.blogspot.com/2008/04/flourish-fairy.html

Lori said...

I love how you used the big flower from Doodle This to create those awesome 3-d flowers! Here's my version of your sketch from this week: http://inkingaloud.blogspot.com/2008/04/rainy-day-stamping.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the flower inspiration. It helped me pull this set out of the closet. You are credited on my blog. Can't wait to do the sketch of the week.
Thanks