Friday, December 12, 2008

Blogger's Challenge - ornament


This week's Blogger's Challenge was to create an ornament or home decor for the holidays. I have to admit I did not make these. I have the kids make them this morning while waiting for the bus. What a great quick and easy craft for the little ones. These were made by 7-9 year olds. They each chose a different color. I was going to let them decorate them with rubons but decided that they look pretty just like this. Try it with your kids, it soooooo easy. All you need are clear glass ornaments, reinkers, and fine glitter. Of course some ribbon or rubons add more to the project. Open the ornament by removing the stem part. Add about 35 drops of ink to the bulb and slowing rotate the bulb till the entire inside is covered. Drain out any extra ink and then pour in some fine glitter. Cover the opening on top with a paper towel and shake shake shake till the entire inside is covered with glitter. Let dry for about 10 minutes or so before reinserting the stems. So quick and easy and they loved it. So of course I love it too!

Have a great weekend!

20 nice people left a comment:

Selene Kempton said...

This is adorable! Terrific Job with the challenge!

Lynn Mercurio said...

WOW...I'm so impressed. I haven't tried one of these ornaments because I thought they looked to hard or too messy, but if you let your kids do it, then surely I should give it a try!!! Now, where did I put those glass ornaments I bought on clearance last year?????? :)

Unknown said...

So pretty, Mary Jo! They will look like jewels on your tree. Great job to your kids!

Anonymous said...

I love these ornaments! Your kids did a great job!

Lisa Martz said...

OOOOO....glitter balls! Love those...messy, but beautiful!

Nikki Bond said...

Very pretty! Love that the kids got involved! {SMILES}

Lisa Somerville said...

Love these MJ! I'm sure the kids had a great time making them.

Rachel Hope said...

AWESOME!!! I Love these types of ornaments!!!

Claudia Perry said...

Lots of fun and a great way to use re-inkers. Love the bright colors!

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful!! I love the colors, I will have to try this they are gorgeous!!

Kristen said...

Mj,
These are great ornaments. I did a few last year, and it was lots of fun. I hope the kids had a great time. TFS.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these, they are adorable! And i'm sure the kids had a blast! What a great idea! :)

Patti Chesky said...

I've seen these ornaments, but never had the courage to make them. I think I will now knowing that your kids could make them before the bus came!!!!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

These turned out lovely Mary Jo! Thanks for sharing the directions! These seem easy enough for me to even try! :D

Lori said...

Beautiful, Mary Jo! I love the vivid colors and the shimmer.

Connie Babbert said...

Great project for the kids! Love how the ornaments turned out...

Lisa Bohler said...

These are so beautiful! The kids did a wonderful job...I bet it was fun to watch their faces as the ornament changed!

Janna said...

What a great idea and so beautiful to boot!! Wondeful!

Smiles,
Janna

tonistamps said...

Beautiful Mary Jo!

Ida said...

Very colorful and festive and a great way to get kids interested in crafting too.