Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bread Box Mini Tutorial.

Here it is, the easy as peasy bread box. I had a bunch of requests for this so here it is. You can see the original box HERE. As long as I needed to make another one I thought I would combine it with the WT189 challenge on SCS. The challenge was to use one word on the front of your creation. So I chose Welcome. I always loved these retired papers and thought it would be a great time to use up some. Here is the finished box.




You will need to start with a piece of 8 1/2 by 11 card stock. I chose Chocolate Chip textured card stock for this one. If you are using the scor-pal you will need to line up each side at the 3/4 inch mark and then score at 3 1/2. Do this on all four sides. See picture below. If you are using a different method to score you need to score all four sides at 2 and 3/4 inches.

Next you will move the card stock over to the edge and score all four sides at 1/2 inch. This is the measurement with or without the scor-pal.




Now you will need to grab your scissors or cutting blade and the two short sides on the 2 and 3/4 score lines up to the 2 and 3/4 score line in the other direction. Then you will cut of the little tab on all four corners. See picture so you know what I mean.



Next you will use your bone folder and fold over all score line so that they are nice and crisp. If you want to use a edge punch or decorative scissors this would be the time. I chose not to do it on this one but did on the original. You would be decorating the four 1/2 inch scored pieces that you did not cut off. I then added designer paper to the four sides of the box. Notice that I added stickers to the 1/2 inch scored pieces on this one so they need to be on the opposite side as the designer paper. See photo.




Now all that is left to do is to fold, attach (I used sticky strip) and decorate.


Here is a view from the top showing the stickers I used to decorate the bread itself.


I would love to see your samples if you try this. Leave me a comment here
with a link so I can come see!

All supplies are from the retired Home Again Simply Scrappin kit except the old olive ribbon, the chocolate chip frame is a sizzix die and the sentiment on the front which was computer generated.

Thanks for stopping by, I will be back in a minute with more sketch players too!


17 nice people left a comment:

Amanda said...

This is just lovely! I love the papers/colors. The bread looks delicious! TFS.

Denise said...

Very creative idea. It's beautiful!

Michelle said...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. Just a quick question: how big is the bread? It's kind of hard to tell! I just made Pumpkin Spice break & they are big loaves! I used a 8x8 or 9x9loaf pan to make my bread, I think! Would this work?

Judy H. said...

This is awesome, MJ! You totally rock!!! Judy H.

Melissa said...

This is great! How big does the bottom measure? Just wondering what size loaf fits into this. Thanks!!

Julia Aston said...

Love this box - thanks for sharing the deets on making them!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Absolutely amazing and thanks for the fantastic tutorial. Makes me wanna bake! :O)

Anonymous said...

Mary Jo,
Awesome project! Could you contact me at ladydian@shaw.ca
Diana Crick

Allison Rankin said...

What a terrific idea...and I have a banana bread recipe that just rocks that I could use! TFS!

Anonymous said...

This is just as cute as can be... Gives me so many ideas for my hostess club... Thank you so much for sharing....

TDaniel

retiredheather said...

Wow. These are fantastic. I have made 4 already. Go check out my samples on enchantedstamping@blogspot.com
Thanks so much for sharing
Heather

Kimme said...

I had to try these cute little boxes to package up my pumpkin bread to take to the neighbors. Thank you!

http://kimme-thelifeofaprincess.blogspot.com/2008/11/giving-thanks.html

Cheryl Hirzel said...

These boxes are so cute - I think they would be cute filled with cookies too! I'm off to make one!

Jami said...

Absolutely love it!!! Thanks for the great tutorial!!
hugs, Jami

Beth said...

what a sweet design!! I also bake mini loaves & have tried to come up with something more interesting than a bag!

grandmahotstuff5 said...

i really liked your tutorial but even more than that i love the music on your blog. It is so wonderful to feel the love they convey. Thank you for sharing these songs with all who come to your blog. I am so happy to have sisters in Christ like you grandmahotstuff5@msn.com

Gina Wrona said...

Love it! So awesome, will have to case it one day if you don't mind.

Hugs,
Gina

P.S. Curt O'Brien sent me here to check it out from his Christmas edition.