Thursday, October 11, 2007

Snowflake Ornament Tutorial



It is very hard to get a good picture of this because I have no where to hang it that the back ground is not a mess, lol. So just remember that I don't have time for housework and yard work if I am gonna be stampin for you guys all the time, teehee.





Supplies needed for this project (not all are shown in the picture) 6 squares of double sided designer paper (or white for traditional snowflakes). All squares must be the same size. Mine are 6 inch squares of the Wintergreen designer paper. 6 small scallop circles (from the Stampin Up! scallop circle punch) of the same or coordinating paper. Scissors, cording, scotch quick-dry adhesive, ruler, pencil and stapler. Beads are optional.

We will begin with the large part of the ornament -- the snowflake. Take one of your square pieces of of paper and fold it in half from corner to corner. Keep the lighter side showing so that you can make pencil marks for cutting.





Now fold it in half again so that you have a small triangle as seen below.




Next you will need to open it back to the original fold.




Place your paper with the folded edge on top and the point on bottom Now measure from the center point on top to the outer straight edge that does not have a fold on it. Since my paper is 6 x 6 square I found the spot that measures 3 inches from center to edge. See below.




I marked small lines at 1 and 3/8, 1 and 7/8 and 2 and 3/8. The lines must go from crease to crease.





Using your markings you will need to draw a straight line from the crease that is in the middle of your paper to the top folded edge. When you have the lines drawn fold your paper back to the way it is shown in the picture below. The lines will only be on one quarter of your paper.



Next you will need to cut on the lines you just drew. But the trick is to start at the end that opens and cut almost up to the solid fold. You need to leave about 1/4 inch before the solid fold line. Look at photos below.



This is what your paper will look like after you cut your three lines.





Now unfold your paper.



This is what your paper will look like when it is fully open. If you have made it to this point you have completed the hardest part of the project. Unfortunately you will need to do this and the following steps to all 6 square pieces of paper. I suggest you continue on with the next few steps before cutting any more of your squares though so you are sure your cuts are right.





Now with your paper open in front of you you will want to grab the two corners of the inside square and roll them to meet each other as seen below.




Add some adhesive to one corner and attach together. This adhesive dries fast and stays put!




Here is what your paper should look like now. So far so good?





Now flip your paper over so that the first loop is now facing down. See below.


Grab the two corners of the next square and bring them together in this direction.




Again you will need to apply adhesive and attach the corners together.






Flip your paper again and do it with the next two corners. When all the corners are alternating and attached set aside and do the same thing to your other five squares.




After that you will have six separate "arms" for your snowflake ornament. Take the corner of three of your "arms" and hold them together to create a point as shown below. Use your stapler to place a staple on this point to keep the tree "arms" together. Do the same to the other three "arms"




This is what you will have when you have finished the previous steps. (below)





Carefully attach the two points that are stapled together and add one more staple to that to form the middle of your snowflake ornament.




Last step to this part of your ornament is to staple where the 6 "arms" meet. This will help the snowflake to keep it's shape.





Pick a point to be the top of your snow flake and punch a small hole in it to string some cording to use for hanging it. Then punch a small hole in the bottom to prepare for the small ornament that attaches to the bottom.



Set your snowflake aside for a few minutes and bring over your 6 small scallop circles of matching paper. This will create the mini ornament that is hanging on the bottom of the snowflake. Fold each scallop in half alternating the patterns as seen below.






Begin to glue each scallop to an alternating scallop. As you attach one you will fold it over and add the next one right next onto the others.




Here is a picture of the process.





Before attaching the last scallops together I took a piece of cording and tied a knot in one end. I added two coordinating beads and then strung it across the scallop ornament and through the hole on my snowflake and then back down to the mini scallop ornament. I taped the cording to the mini scallop ornament and then glued it together.


31 nice people left a comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! These are stunning, beautiful, fantastic, gorgeous etc!!! Now I have to get some of that paper!!! Thank goodness it will be on sale soon!!
Bev
bevstamps@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

WOW...Ditto on what Bev said. Great tutorial and I can't wait to try it.

Lisa Somerville said...

What a great ornament - and tutorial.

Vicki G said...

I Love these. They are the sweetest and your tutorial is Fab!

Vicki

Anonymous said...

ok, I have never posted a comment on anyones blog before, but these are gorgeous and your tutorial is fantastic - I will definatly being trying these (after I have had some more coffee!!)

Lila H said...

WOWZA!!! What a wonderful sample and awesome tutorial. For sure I will be giving these a try.

Lauren (mytime) said...

WOW Not that my firend is pretty cool! Looks way hard-then your tutorial made it look SO EASY!

Barbara said...

Amazing! Simply beautiful! Truly a WOW!!! Can't wait to try thi myself....THANK YOU SO MUCH for the tutorial!

StampingJoan said...

Beeeeeautiful! Wow! I think there will be alot of us with adorned windows!!! TFS!

Claudia Perry said...

OMG - this is THE coolest paper ornament I've ever seen. WOW! I hope mine will turn out too, once I get the confidence to try it.
Great job!
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Oh.....my......gosh! This is INCREDIBLE! Awesome! Spectacular! Gorgeous!

Amy Caraluzzi said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! This is stunning!

Lynn Mercurio said...

Truly amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial with us!

Basement Stamper said...

Wow! Great ornament Mary Jo and awesome tutorial you put together!

jwild259 said...

Wow Mary-Jo, very cool. We should do this in our next class. I can't wait to try it on my own.

Julie Campbell said...

How neat! Thanks for making such a detailed tutorial for all of us!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you made this and posted it. I love the precise instructions that you did. I can follow it to an exact. It's like the perfect tutorial for the tutorial challenged...and that's me! Thank you so much.
Katrina

Rosella said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial with us! It is absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial, and I must add that I have loved listening to your play list today. Thanks for sharing it. It's been uplifting and it really started my week off right!

Renée said...

this is fabulous! I love how stunning these look. Thanks so much for sharing how to make it.

Renée
(P.S. Love the music!)

Anonymous said...

I made one of your stars and wanted to let you know that it turned out great. I gave it to my friend Laura for her birthday...everyone loved it and I'm sure you'll have a few more readers to your blog after they saw it. Thanks so much for the demo. If you'd like to see my version it will be on my blog dated 13 Nov.
Http://NeverTooManyStamps.com

stormarela said...

Wonderful. I have been trying to find something special to hang in the window, and THIS IS IT.
Thank you, its perfect.

Cross your fingers for me that mine turns out as well. I will post it !

Susan
http://www.scissorspaperandink.com

Unknown said...

Wow this is the biggest ornament I have ever made! I got past the first step and then things kept growing from there! Great tutorial, if I can follow and have success, it has to be GREAT!! Vicki Allgaier www.inkingart.com

Cheryl said...

This is fantastic! I hope to do one this weekend. TFS

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! I decided to do these with my stampers group and wanted them to use only one sheet of paper each so I made mine much smaller!
I cut the squares 4" and then then cut at 15/16", 1 1/4" and 1 9/16". They turned out great!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is great! But I must admit I don't make the scallop ornament that way. I can't stand to not show off BOTH sides of the paper so I fold the circle in the same direction starting in the center of a scallop at top and bottom. I then punch out the same number of the paper using the window punch. I place two of the folded circles next to each other and attach them with the long window piece. I continue around the circle and before the last circle is attached, add the cord and beads as you have done. Every single side of the circle shows!

Cheryl said...

I love this ornament so much I have made several of them. This time I made one a little different it is just 3 pieces but in a long form. I am getting ready to put it up on my blog and will link to show that I got directions from you.

Pat (mspfd) said...

This is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial!!

bsgstamps4fun: Barb Gault said...

Wonderful tutorial, thank you so much!

Tammy Q Howell said...

Beautiful ornament! Love it. I love that paper too. Thanks for the great tutorial.

Tricia Leonard said...

Thanks for a stunning design - am spreading the word to all my neighbours. So much simpler than it looks.