Monday, January 28, 2008

It's Time! Monday Lunchtime Sketch Challenge #2

This weeks sketch was a bit more difficult than last weeks but just as fun! Don't forget to comment here if you play along so I can post your sample too. If you upload to SCS please use TSSC2 in the key words so we can see them all at once! Happy creating.


















I am really having a hard time photographing my cards lately. It has been kind of gloomy around here. I think I need to break down and create photo box?? Anyway, this was a fun layout for me. It is the first time I am using the Berry Bliss dp and I love it. The base of the first card is Pretty in Pink followed by a layer of Purely Pomegranate that has the swirls from Baroque Motifs embossed with iridescent ice embossing powder to add a little bling. The large circle is a quarter of an eight inch circle cut from the dp. I added scallops around the edge in Pretty in Pink. Next I added some stitching marks with a Chocolate Chip marker. The focal image is from Fun and Fast Notes. I stamped it on Shimmery White card stock and embossed it in Chocolate Chip. It is colored in using markers and a silver glitter gel pen. It is layered on two scallops circles and finally on a 3 by 3 square of Chocolate Chip. The Forever and Always sentiment is from a Studio G set and is stamped in Chocolate Chip on Close to Cocoa. I added the stitch marks here too. As a finishing touch I added the doubled up Prima flowers with the Pretty in Pink brad. The second card also fits the try a new technique challenge on SCS which can be found here. I wanted to use up the other half of the half circle I cut and I was so excited that this fit perfect with my sketch this week. The base of this card is Close to Cocoa followed by Pretty in pink. The sentiment is from Visual Verve. I drew the lines to add a little interest to the pink, I did not want too much with all the other stuff going on. I added those stitching lines on the quarter circle again too. Hope you like it. Here are the other talented stampers links to what they were able to create with the same sketch! They are beyond wonderful so check them out.

Rose Kerry on Splitcoaststampers.

Bev at Savor the Journey


Amy at Partners in Crimp

Adair Svoboda on Splitcoaststampers


Charlotte at Charlotte's Web

Kelly at A Stamp Above

Lisa at Splendiferous Creations

Claudia at Stamping In Columbus, GA

Margaret at Fun Stampin with Margaret


Michelle on Splitcoaststampers

Pat at the Technique Trail

Gerrie at Iwork4stamps

Brenda at Memories by Brenda

Kim at Basement Stamper

Debbie at Snickerdoodle Dreams

Kerry at Three Clover Designs

Jane at Jane's Addiction

How is that for talent! YIKES they are good. You want to try? Go ahead, when you do please post a link here and I will be happy to post in during the week. Can't wait to see what you come up with. You don't have to have a blog to play, upload anywhere you want. If you use Splitcoaststampers please us TSSC2 in the key word section! Have fun.

23 nice people left a comment:

Tanya said...

I LOVE the dahila fold card. It's gorgeous! (I must show some restraint and finish working before heading off to try my hand at this technique ;). Thanks for the inspiration!

rozie640 said...

Oh my goodness, I love BOTH cards. I am off to make some more with this sketch immediately! It was a little more difficult than I am comfortable with but so worth it!!! I love your dahlia fold card as well, that is truly a WOW card. Thanks MJ for pushing me out of my slump!

Anonymous said...

Your cards are beautiful and rich looking! Thanks for doing the MLSC!

Basement Stamper said...

Love these cards, the colors and the fold of the one card is very cool!

Kerry D-C said...

MJ, these are just FABTASTIC!

Anonymous said...

Both cards are great!! Wonderful sketch this week.

Chrissy D said...

I just got a chance to play! Love the sketch - I posted it on my Blog at www.chrissyd723.blogspot.com and now I am off to post it on SCS! Thanks for the challenge! Chris Dickinson

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards, Mary Jo! The dahlia fold is awesome. I need to get some Berry Bliss...

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

great job! too funny that we used the same paper for the circle and on your second card we used the same kind of ribbon. I went back and forth between the chocolate and pom.

Anonymous said...

Love this sketch and your cards. I think I'll be playing every Monday (at least I am gonna try). I need it on a Monday!

You can see my card at my blog:
www.inkydoodle.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Becky - stampin' and sewin' in the tulip city said...

I love your cards today! I am so glad I found your challenge for Mondays - I love sketch challenges. You can see my card at my blog...
http://woodenshoestamping.blogspot.com

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Great cards...esp luv the dahila. ?build a lightbox? pls share, I am having issues trying to photo too.

Sue Davis said...

Ohh..Chi-mama... those cards are incredible MJ... man, do you leave any time to eat or sleep? LOVE them.

Kimm BT said...

Whoo hooo! Here is my card:
http://ephesian25stamps.blogspot.com/2008/01/sketch-challenge-2.html

Kimm BT

Stacy said...

Gosh, those cards are gorgeous!

Mary Jo, I am LOVING this challenge! I actually got off my derrière today and made a card. You can find it on my blog at http://stacys-scraploft.blogspot.com/
2008/01/feelin-kinda-boho.html

No hurry posting it -- I'm sure you're going to be swamped!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Beautiful cards. Here's mine: http://lacyquilter.blogspot.com/2008/01/lots-of-folding.html

Valerie Byrnes said...

Mary Jo, judging by the number of people playing along, I'm not the only one who is inspired by your fabulous sketches and all the gorgeous cards everyone is making with them! I look forward to next Monday! You can see my card at
www.pastperfected.blogspot.com
Thanks MJ!

Holly said...

Just finished my card using your sketch. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://glitterstampsandink.blogspot.com/2008/01/belli-challenge-2.html

Holly

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

Wow...I so love this...As always your work is terrific!!!

Anonymous said...

This was fun! I combined your sketch with the technique challenge on SCS.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/795064?cat=500&ppuser=100297

MelissaS said...

These cards, like all of yours, are fantastic! Love what people are doing with your sketches, too. Here's mine for this week:
http://whatdoyouink.blogspot.com/2008/01/french-script-sketch.html

Terri said...

Nice job.
I finally got a chance to give this sketch a try. Here is what I came up with http://terrbear38.blogspot.com/ Can't wait so see what you come up with next week.

Anonymous said...

Love your cards! This is my first time participating....Loved it! You can see my card at http://tamarrastamps.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/monday-lunch-ch.html I'll be back next Monday!
Tamarra